TRAVEL TIP: Light Luggage and Locks

As you read this article I will be snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland, Australia. I have been to Australia before, but only to Sydney. On this trip I will be visiting Cairns, Ayers Rock, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island, Tasmania and Sydney. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Australia; so in about six weeks, start looking for articles on my adventures in Australia.

In preparation for my trip to Australia I actually bought new luggage. With the strict weight regulations on some airlines, I decided lighter luggage could mean an extra pair of shoes and another blouse, important items in any woman’s wardrobe.

In the LA Times Travel Section (March 22, 2009) I read about some new “feather-light” luggage that just came on the market. The article claimed it was the lightest luggage on the market with the 19-inch carry-on weighing less than 4.6 pounds and the 30-inch case weighing less than 6 pounds. Wow, that sounded impressive. I immediately went to the garage and pulled out my old faithful, 26-inch case that has traveled with me around the world. I knew it felt heavy, but I was surprised to see that it actually weighed 13.5 pounds, empty. If their big case weighs less that 6 pounds, the difference could mean more than just an extra pair of shoes and a blouse, maybe another pair of pants or even a sweater set.

I ordered the luggage. When it arrived at my office a week later the first thing I did was pick up the box. It felt light--the two together felt lighter than my one big suitcase. I took the cases out of the box and was amazed when I picked them up. They really are lightweight. I ordered the 26-inch case, which weighs 5.10 pounds and the 19-inch carry-on weighed in at 4.6 pounds, as was advertised. They are sturdy, according to the literature on the bags, they are made using ultra-light fiberglass frames.What did I pay for these lightweight, sturdy bags? The 26-inch bag was on sale for $99.95 and the carry-on cost $79.95. I ordered them online from discountluggage.com. They come in black and red. Neither case has the expandable zipper that lets you stuff those last minute souvenirs into your suitcase. You’ll have to do what I do, buy jewelry; it doesn’t take up any room at all!!!

My clients often ask me if I lock my bags. The answer is yes, and I use a TSA lock. TSA (Transportation Security Administration) has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys, so that the locks may not have to be cut. The locks are combination locks, either three or four numbers.

If you travel infrequently, you may be interested in some of the newer regulations concerning what you can and cannot take in your carry-on bag and checked luggage. The catchphrase for carry-on bags is 3-1-1: any liquid or gel must go into a 3.4oz. bottle or less, all bottles need to be put in a quart size plastic bag, one bag per person going through security.
Obviously, 3-1-1 is for shorter trips. Since most of my trips are two to three weeks I put most of my liquids in my checked luggage (wrapped in a plastic bag).

There are some exceptions to these rules: medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.

I would suggest having everything sorted and in the proper size bottles and bags before going through security--each time they stop the line to check carry-on items it causes a back-up and, from personal experience I can tell you that people tend to get cranky.

As of January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation (DOT) through the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) no longer allows loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. Keep batteries and equipment with you, or in carry-on baggage, not in your checked baggage! It has something to do with a fire hazard and the situation can be better controlled if the batteries are in your carry bag or purse.

In August, 2008, TSA came up with new guidelines for laptop computers. To help streamline the security process and better protect laptops the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) will allow passengers to leave their laptop computers in bags that meet new "checkpoint friendly" standards. For a bag to be considered checkpoint friendly it should meet a designated laptop-only section:
  • The laptop-only section completely unfolds to lie flat on the X-ray belt,
  • No metal snaps, zippers or buckles inside, underneath or on top of the laptop-only section,
  • No pockets on the inside or outside of the laptop-only section, and
  • Nothing packed in the laptop-only section other than the computer itself
Since I finally entered the 21st century and will be taking my laptop on trips, I better go check and see if my laptop computer bag meets all the new TSA standards.

Have a safe trip and travel lightly.

No comments: