TRAVEL TIP: Health Tips for Traveling Abroad

I realize I write a travel column, not a family column. However, when you are sidetracked with a knee replacement, and not traveling, a family column sounds pretty good. The “Cox” family have been in the paper several times this past month; thank you for all your wonderful comments and letting me share the happy events in our lives.

In the past eight years, the majority of my travels have been to developing or third world countries. I’m often asked if I experienced any health problems while traveling, and are there any “secret remedies” to avoid the usual travel maladies.

I have no secret remedies or family recipes to avoid the typical travel woes, but I do pass on lots of advice for those going to a developing country.

The first thing I suggest is to see your family doctor to make sure you have no health problems that would be difficult to treat far from home. Next, I suggest you go to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) website: www.cdc.gov/travel/ to see if any vaccinations are needed. You can also check with a local travel clinic for the same information (Loma Linda Travel Clinic, 909-558-4594.) If vaccinations are suggested, it’s best to start several weeks or even months in advance. Some vaccines don’t reach their highest protection until six weeks after the injection. Some viral diseases, i.e. Hepatitis A, require multiple vaccinations at timed intervals. This is also a good time to update routine immunizations, i.e. polio and tetanus-diphtheria. Living in the United States, many diseases have been eradicated, however, that is not the case in many developing countries.

If you’re going to a country with a risk of malaria, the travel clinic, or your personal physician will prescribe anti-malaria medication. Remember to start taking your malaria medicine before you leave on your trip, take it during your travels and keep taking it after you get home. There are several different types of malaria medicine; some you take once a week, others you take daily. Tell the doctor your travel destination, which will determine the type of malaria medicine you need to take. Once you have all the required immunizations, make sure to keep your immunization record with your passport, in case you’re required to show proof of vaccinations in order to enter a country.

The most common problem when traveling in third world countries is travelers’ diarrhea. Even if you follow all the rules: drink only bottled water, avoid ice, don’t eat fruits or vegetables that can’t be peeled, use bottled water to brush your teeth, avoid eating foods from street vendors, don’t eat raw or undercooked seafood or meats, etc., etc., I’m not sure you can totally avoid a day or two of discomfort. It happens to the best of us. Eve John got sick in India and I managed to be down for a day in Vietnam. In both places we received excellent care and managed to be back with the group the next day. In most cases a little Pedialyte will help. I recently read that taking Pepto Bismol four times a day while traveling is a good prophylaxis for travelers’ diarrhea. My only other suggestion is to pack some Imodium and hope for the best.

Whenever I travel, I do have my own personal first-aid kit, which definitely includes both Imodium and Pepto Bismol. I also carry antacids, cough and cold medications, Tylenol, ibuprofen, a decongestant and antihistamine for allergies, some antibiotic ointment and hydrocortisone cream for bites, Band-Aids and moleskin for blisters. If you’re going on a cruise or even traveling on a bus over winding roads, make sure you have some Dramamine or Bonine for motion sickness. Also, I always pack sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, lip balm and a good insect repellent that contains DEET. I also carry anti-bacterial cleanser in my pocket, i.e. Purell, and use it throughout the day as needed. According to every article I’ve read on international travel, hand washing is one of the most important practices in preventing illness from infection. In fact, I’ve become so paranoid I even carry Purell in my purse at home and use it several times a day, particularly if I’m not near a restroom.

International travelers should be aware that medical care in some countries might only be available in larger cities and at private clinics. I do recommend buying travel insurance that includes trip cancellation for medical reasons, medical care in case of illness, hospitalization and emergency medical transportation. If you cancel your trip due to illness, or become ill overseas, you must see a doctor in order to be reimbursed for your trip, or the unused portion of the trip. Keep all your receipts.

If you take prescription drugs, make sure you pack enough for the duration of your trip, and have an extra prescription in case of emergency. If you have allergies or are allergic to certain medications, or have a medical condition, I strongly suggest wearing a medical information bracelet. One of my clients, highly allergic to peanuts, learns the word for peanut in the language of the country she’s visiting. In China, she had our guide write out a sentence, in Chinese, that let the restaurants know she could not have any foods with peanuts or peanut oil. If you wear prescription eyewear, make sure to bring an extra pair of contacts or glasses. I always pack two pairs of sunglasses. I found out the hard way that trying to buy a pair of sunglasses in the middle of the Amazon rainforest is impossible!

Traveling to third world countries is interesting, educational, fun and sometimes challenging. The joy of traveling to far off and exotic places is more than compensation for having to take a few vaccinations in order to make travel safer. My philosophy is, I’d rather be safe than sorry. Have a good trip.

No comments: