TRAVEL TIP: The Art of Packing

I get questions all the time on packing tips. Because I travel so much, people assume I’m an expert on packing. I’m learning, but I’m certainly no expert. I make the same mistake as everyone else--I pack too much and say a few choice words because my suitcase is too heavy to carry.

When my children were growing up, and packing for a trip, they used to ask me all the time, “Mom, can I take ‘this’ or ‘that’ with me on the trip?” My answer was always the same: “You can take whatever you want, as long as you can carry it.” My daughters, now young women, remember those words and repeat them back to me quite often, particularly when I can’t pick up my own suitcase because I over packed

I recently read an article in our trade magazine ASTA (American Society of Travel Agents) that had some good pointers that might prove useful when packing for future trips. It is particularly important now when most airlines are charging for checked luggage. Cutting down is the name of the game.

Make a packing list so you don’t forget anything. This list could also help with repacking --not to forget anything hanging behind the bathroom door or a pair of shoes under the bed. Also, if you are one of those unfortunate few who have their luggage lost or stolen, you have a list of the contents for insurance purposes.

Think about where you’re going and plan your wardrobe accordingly. Are you going on a bicycle trip through France, a luxury cruise in the Mediterranean, a business meeting in Chicago or river rafting in Colorado? Consider the events you will participate in, both day and night, and write down what you will need for the different activities. Crosscheck your packing list to see if one piece can be worn with more than one outfit. Pick clothes that coordinate well together.

Over the years my travel wardrobe is basically black, with colorful accessories. Black hides a multitude of sins, and it also matches my shoes. I try hard to get away with two pairs of shoes: shoes for walking and a pair of sandals or flats to change into for the evening. Depending on the trip, I may include my hiking boots.

Since I often have to carry my own suitcase, I long ago stopped packing an outfit for every occasion. Also, since most of my trips are over two weeks, I have started using the hotel ‘s laundry facilities. It can get expensive, but it sure beats packing 14 different outfits. I always pack a windbreaker with a hood and a jacket/sweater. For outdoor activities I layer my clothes to be prepared for cooler weather.

By making a list, I have a good idea what I want to take. Next, I start laying everything out in my guestroom. Actually, I may start a week before the trip and when I remember something, I put it with the other items. Once everything is laid out, I go over my itinerary again and try to eliminate what I think I can live without.

Over the years I have tried folding my clothes, layering my clothes, and using those space-saver airtight bags. The article I just read suggests ironing everything first, then button all buttons, zip all zippers and fold your clothes like they do in the stores. Also, using a piece of tissue paper when folding your clothes helps prevent wrinkling. That seems like a lot of work to me. Again, check your itinerary and think chronologically, placing the items to be worn first on the top. Eliminate wasted space by possibly rolling t-shirts or putting socks and underwear in the insides of shoes.

Several months ago I found a great travel bag at a container store. This bag can be folded flat and has at least 15 pockets of different shapes and sizes. I have my toothbrush and toothpaste, shampoo, make-up, tweezers, aspires, band-aids, body lotion, liquid soap, deodorant, sunscreen, hair gel, hair spray, etc. This bag always stays packed and after each trip, I refill everything. Now, with the new rules about carrying liquids on board, I put this travel bag in my checked luggage.

Thank goodness for digital cameras. Not having to pack rolls and rolls of film saves me lots of room in my carry-on. I do pack my camera accessories, i.e. a battery charger and lenses and even my laptop computer in my carry-on. I used to carry a corkscrew, a Swiss army knife and razor in the bag, but that is now packed separately in my checked baggage and stays in the suitcase to be used on my next trip. I also keep a small umbrella and rain cape packed, just in case.

As for jewelry, leave the flashy stuff at home. Once again, it depends on where you’re going. In most deluxe hotels and on cruise ships, there is a safe in the room (or cabin), and expensive jewelry can be locked up. If you were going to a third world country, where there is lots of poverty, I definitely would leave my good jewelry home. It doesn’t pay to advertise, or better yet, don’t take what you don’t want to lose.

Always carry travel documents, medications, jewelry and your passport in your carry-on luggage. Label each piece of luggage, inside and out, with your name and telephone number, not your address. I actually put my business card in my luggage tag. Remove old airline tags to avoid confusion. I carry my passport, credit cards and cash on my body, in a holder that fits around my neck. There are several different types of travel holders that fit around your waist or under your arm. Find one that is comfortable for you and if there is not a safe in your room, I’d definitely carry my passport, cash and credit cards with me.

Throughout the years I have learned lots of tricks that make traveling a little easier. I always carry extra zip-lock plastic bags for a wet bathing suit or a bottle of lotion that might leak. I also use disposable shower caps to cover my shoes to protect my clothes. I bring pre-addressed labels that I can stick on postcards. I pack one or two wire coat hangers for drying clothes. I always carry a small bottle of anti-bacterial soap in my pocket.

If you have helpful hints on packing or information you’ve gathered over the years that could prove helpful, please let me know. I’ll gladly pass on your information.

Have a great trip.

No comments: